Welcome to the website for the free online book, The Way of the Merrily Dancing Ape.
You can start reading the book HERE. You can navigate through the book using the table of contents (look to the right) or using the Previous/Next links that you’ll find at the bottom of each chapter.
In a nutshell, the philosophy espoused in this book can be summarized as follows:
- A positive outlook. Love, kindness, hope, and cheerfulness are not solely the domain of the religious. It is sometimes assumed that the only alternative to religiosity is nihilism. This view is dead wrong! In fact, when we rid ourselves of superstition, we open the door to deeper joy, a higher system of ethics, and positivity grounded in reality.
- Naturalism. The world as we know it through our senses and our science is pretty grand, and we don’t really need to jazz it up with supernatural beliefs.
- Implicitly atheistic agnosticism. Supernatural beliefs cannot be disproved, but neither can they be proved. Virtually by definition, the supernatural is unknowable. Therefore no one can claim knowledge of the supernatural. There are not sufficient reasons at this time to personally adopt supernatural beliefs.
- Happiness. A very particular definition of happiness is formulated, and helpful tips for establishing such happiness are suggested.
- Existential purposelessness. The notion of “purpose” is hurtful, not helpful. A better alternative is suggested.
- Equality and compassion. A system of ethics is proposed that does not rely on supernatural rewards and threats.
I also have a blog, which you can find here HERE.
the Merrily Dancing Ape
A Philosophy of Life
for Naturalists, Agnostics, Atheists,
and Other Heretics and Rabble Rousers,
and Even Theists (Be They of an Open Mind)
WITH ANSWERS TO THE ULTIMATE QUESTIONS OF HAPPINESS, PURPOSE, AND WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE, FROM HERE ON OUT